The `Wines of North Greece` was created in 1993 in Thessaloniki. The association’s goal is to support the viticutural and vinicultural traditions of northern Greece while giving local and foreign visitors the opportunity to enjoy our unique brand of hospitality.
A total of 38 wineries have joined forces in this association and agreed upon a set of the following common objectives.
- Ameliorating the image of the wines of the northern Greek vineyards while promoting them at home and abroad.
- Offering visitors a complete wine tourism experience in the vineyards and around the beautiful countryside of Northern Greece.
- Supporting Greece`s cultural heritage by featuring grape growing and winemaking as well as local cultural activities.
- Creating a general set of rules governing the relationships between growers, winemakers and wine merchants, with the goal of optimising cooperation between the members, reaching out to consumers while improving the quality of both our products and services.
Local authorities, cultural organisations, local enterprises and other associations are actively involved in the activities related to the above objectives. These activities include creating signage for tourists, creating folklore museums focused on the Greek viticultural tradition, winemaking and local gastronomy, publishing books and organizing cultural events. In addition all of these activities are in conjunction with local festivals while incorporating local history, customs and traditions.
The Wines of Northern Greece plans to undertake the following projects and activities:
- Creating signage along wine-tourism trails throughout the vineyards of Northern Greece, featuring all points of oenological, cultural and tourist interest, such as vineyards, wineries, archaeological and historical sites and places of natural beauty. Plans also include recommending traditional hotels, restaurants, local products and outdoor activities on each wine route.
- Providing education for people interested in wine-related occupations, such as restaurant ownership, hoteliers, waiters, special guides, etc.
- Participating in and collaborating with international societies and organizations with similar objectives. The development of this type of cooperation in wine tourism reinforces the positive results of our activities as well as aiding the local regional economy.
- Organizing gastronomic and cultural events and conferences with the goal of familiarizing Greek and foreign visitors with our rich wine and gastronomic traditions and culture in association with select dining venues, interdisciplinary meetings and cultural activities. The established wine tasting event `VorOina` takes place in Athens, Thessaloniki and other Greek cities annually and is an excellent opportunity for professionals and the general public to get to have the opportunity to taste the current vintage releases of the association’s producers
- Participating in international trade fairs in Greece and abroad.
- Organising an annual international wine competition, unique in Greece, with the goal of presenting and promoting quality international wines to professionals and the general public.
Members of Wines of North Greece
Amyndeon Cooperative Winery
Claudia Papayianni Estate
Dio Fili Estate
Domaine Porto Carras
Domaine Stelios Kechris
Kamara Kioutsouki Estate
Ktima Biblia Chora
Milopotamos – Mt. Athos
Wine Art Estate